Sunday, July 11, 2010

Watermelon Fun Facts!


Hello friends! Well, since it's been a while I feel like I owe you something fun (even though all of my posts are pretty fun). So, as you can probably already tell by the title, I'm going to share some fun facts with you!

P.S. the picture above made me laugh when I saw it, so I thought you would get a kick out of it!



Fun Facts


  1. The first recorded watermelon harvest was 5,000 years ago in Egypt.
  2. Over 1,200 varieties of watermelon are grown worldwide in 96 countries.
  3. Watermelon is 92% water.
  4. Watermelon's official name is Citrullus Lanatus.
  5. Watermelon's cousins include cucumbers, pumpkins, and squash.
  6. Early explorers used watermelons as canteens.
  7. In 1990, Bill Carson of Arrington, TN grew the largest watermelon at 262 pounds that is still on the record books (1998 ed. Guinness Bookof World Records).
  8. Watermelon is a vegetable!

Well, that's all for now folks! I might give out more fun facts at a later date, so keep your eyes peeled for that post! For now, I'm getting the history of watermelon and I am basically done. I will have that up soon, so don't be impatient (because soon means in like a couple of minutes from now). Thanks for reading, and continue to read because the history is the most important part!

No comments: